Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

How to activate right-click function on clickpad?

Finally, I can use the right-click of the clickpad on my laptop (HP Pavilion dv3-4036TX). Clickpad is differ from touchpad, those are, it is larger than touchpad and it doesn't have physical buttons for left- and right-click (see picture below and click here for more detail).


Because of this construction, if we use common driver (synaptics) on linux, you cannot use right-click function, in other word, when you click on both left and right bottom side of clickpad, you will get left-click function only.

If you want to activate right-click function, you have to patch the xf86-input-synaptics driver. You can download the patch from this site. How to patch? Follow the steps below:
  1. Download the source of x11 (the whole directory tree) from Slackware site. It's better if you use rsync command for downloading it. In my case, I use: rsync -avP rsync.osuosl.org::slackware/slackware64-current/source/x/x11 /home/henry/rsync/
  2. Copy the patch to path-to/x11/patch/xf86-input-synaptics/. In my case, I copy it to /home/henry/rsync/x11/patch/xf86-input-synaptics/.
  3. Add this line: patch -p1 < $CWD/patch/xf86-input-synaptics/synaptics-clickpad-support.patch --verbose || { touch ${SLACK_X_BUILD_DIR}/${PKGNAME}.failed ; continue ; } to path-to/x11/patch/xf86-input-synaptics.patch then save it. In my case, I add that line to /home/henry/rsync/x11/patch/xf86-input-synaptics.patch file.
  4. Run the slackbuild script exactly like this: ./x11.slackbuild driver xf86-input-synaptics
  5. You will get new slackware package of xf86-input-synaptics for your clickpad. Afterward, upgrade the existing xf86-input-synaptics with the new one using upgradepkg.
  6. Make new file (you can name it freely) in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (in my case: /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/clickpad.conf), then write these lines in the file then save it:
Section "InputClass"
        Identifier "touchpad catchall"
        Driver "synaptics"
        MatchIsTouchpad "on"
          Option "TapButton1" "1"
          Option "TapButton2" "2"
          Option "TapButton3" "3"
EndSection

Restart X server, then enjoy your "right-click function" of clickpad if you click the right bottom area of clickpad. In addition, if you click the middle bottom area of clickpad, you will get "middle-button function".

No comments: