Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Installing digikam from source on Slamd64/Slackware

Last year, I bought digital camera, Canon Powershot A430, but, I never used my camera (read: download the images to PC) in Linux because Slamd64/Slackware could not detect it automatically. Today, finally .... the camera can be detected automatically so that I can download the images from that camera to PC using digikam. The software, digikam, and its dependencies has been installed by compiling them from source. I don't use Slackware's tgz because my system is x86_64 and, also, I prefer to install from source rather than install using any package management.

First step, I downloaded all sources that I needed:
  • exiv2-0.15
  • jasper-1.900.1
  • libgphoto2-2.4.0
  • libkdcraw-0.1.1
  • libkipi-0.1.5
  • libkexiv2-0.1.5
  • sqlite-3.4.2
  • digikam-0.9.2

Second step, I compiled and installed them one by one with the order same as that of I downloaded. There're some notes:
  • I added the option "--enable-shared" (the default is static). If not being added, digikam could not detect libjasper.
  • people can use specific driver when compiling libgphoto2 using option "--with-driver= ...." in configure. The default is all. I chose same as the default.
  • I used the option "--with-tcl=/usr/lib64" in configure before compiling sqlite. Without that option, the configure script could not find tcl in my system.
After installing digikam, I got a problem that the digikam could not detect my camera. There is an answer from denic's blog (http://makassar-slackers.org/node/74) that I have to edit file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules in section # libusb device access; add , MODE="0666" after the text SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", PROGRAM="/bin/sh -c 'X=%k X=$${X#usbdev}; B=$${X%%%%.*}; D=$${X#*.}; echo bus/usb/$$B/$$D'", SYMLINK+="%c"
Next step, I stopped HAL, messagebus, and udev services, then, I started those service again.

After all step ... digikam can detect my camera and download the images easily in PTP mode.


Note that, by default, Slackware/slamd64 is not activating HAL service. If you activate HAL service, you will see the window below:


No comments: